Tuesday, January 5, 2010

My first ever sphereing ride....



So....this has been put off for far too long...I was supposed to blog about this adventurous experience...but I was yet to get around to it...so here goes...

I was given the opportunity by my company, RedRibbon Days (www.redribbondays.com.my) to try out one of the best-selling adventure gifts that we have. The sphereing ride... My bosses, Sherin & Nik, believe that each one of us 'Redribboners' have to try out our own experiences so that we will be able to relate to it better when our customers call-in with enquiries...RedRibbon Days is basically a gifting company but with a difference. We sell experiences...it can be anything from adventure, dining, pampering, flying etc. So,off I went on a Sunday morning to Taman Tasik Titiwangsa for my inaugural sphereing ride!!!

What is sphereing?

Sphereing / orbing is basically a ride like no other...imagine a roller-coaster ride without the train and the tracks!!! Imagine being strapped inside a 3 metre inflatable ball and rolled down a slope!!! Each sphere ball can fit 2 adults...
and I was actually supposed to carry out this experience with another person who happens to be the winner of one of our monthly contest give-aways on Facebook...So,when I arrived, the sphere ball was still being inflated by a hand held air-blower...Though I was super excited to try this experience out,my slight nervousness must've showed as our partner supplier came to assure me that it's all safe and that I won't break my neck!!!As the sphere was still being inflated,the facilitators ran-through several safety checks with me...I was told to remove all accessories and even my watch as there could be a possibility of it coming loose and hurting me or the other person in the sphere.While still waiting for the other participant,I was strapped on with the safety gear...


Laa dee daa...still waiting...looked like the other participant was not gonna show up...so,we just decided not waste time and just go ahead with the ride...Nik was there as well,with her hubby, Azlan...as it is not usually customary for us to be at every experience that our clients take on, Nik was there as this other participant actually flew down from Aussie...and also as this was my first experience and first time trying the ride out,she was there as moral support...besides also being the camerawoman...and talking about that...I'm sure y'all know how busy Taman Tasik Titiwangsa can be on a Sunday morning,people out jogging, children playing in the park and basically a lot of people going up and down..it was suffice to say that I had loads of spectators waiting to see what the hell was I gonna do being strapped with safety harness and all...

So,back to the ride...getting into the ball was an adventure on its own...imagine the opening to enter the ball was about 10 inches in diameter and I ain't no Victoria Beckham to be able to slide in gracefully without a hitch...so, CJ, one of the facilitators who was gonna go on the ride with me, slid in first...easy for him lar coz he'd probably done it hundreds of times and having a slim body helped as well...so, with CJ already inside the ball, I was asked to throw my upper body through the hole and CJ will help pull me in from the inside...it's best to do it with a little run...one,two,whoosh!err....hello....I'm stuck!!!imagine,half my body in the ball and the other half is happily hanging outside!!!so,with the help of CJ pulling me in and Nik pushing my butt from outside,I managed to wriggle my way through...Phew...finally...



Once inside,CJ straps me up to the safety harness so that I will be anchored to the walls of the ball and not go tumbling around inside the ball like in a washing machine while it's being pushed downhill.Even my feet was secured to some feet pocket thingy so that the legs won't go flying around...All this took a while as it's not easy standing upright in a sphere ball that keeps moving about...and then,when I'm all secured, CJ, strapped himself to the other harness and we were ready to roll!!!



There were a few other facilitators there to help roll the ball downhill until it gained momentum...so,on the count of 1,2,3...they started pushing.....guess what happened????

I screamed and screamed and screamed...not out of fright coz I'm game for any roller-coaster but purely out of exhilaration...it was super fun & exciting!!!it was like doing a 360degree loop on a roller coaster again and again and again!!!!the feeling of weightlessness was awesome!!!and then,as suddenly as it began...it ended!what felt like 5 minutes to me was barely over in less than 1 minute!!!OMG!!!I was giddy with excitement and ready to have a go at it again...I tell you..it can become quite addictive...but I didn't get a chance to do it again as there were other customers there waiting to do the ride as well...and I bet that they were drawn by my screams...hahaha!Check out this link for the video (http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=159026048022)


Now,here comes another challenge...how to get out???well,CJ got me unstrapped from the harness and instructed me to throw my feet out first this time...there were 2 handles above the hole for me to hold on to while pushing my legs through the whole and eventually wriggling out...just to land unglamourously on my butt!!!a thought just went through my head at the time...the process of getting out of the ball is akin to childbirth...yeah...imagine!!!


so,yeah..that's about it...I stood up...my hair all tousled up and my arms all sore from holding onto the straps so tightly....my adrenaline was so pumped and to add salt to the injury...Nik shows me the video taken of the ride where I can be heard screaming till kingdom come!!!I swear I didn't realise I was screaming that loudly....I knew I was but I just didn't realise that it was in the higher decibels region...

so,that was it folks...my sphereing adventure...it's was so much of fun and excitement that I can't wait to go for it again!!!


For more information on this ride or any other adventurous experience, please log on to www.redribbondays.com.my.

No comments:

Post a Comment